January 11, 2013

force of nature

Somehow I always end up going to a lot of movies around Christmas. (One year, in college, I saw eight movies in a week.) This year I've been comme-çi, comme-ça with my average. Saw The Hobbit & Silver Linings Playbook; still need to see Lincoln & This is 40. (Also curious about Les Mis, but feel like it's a Netflixer.)



Two nights ago I watched Beasts of the Southern Wild. I'd been putting it off, mostly because it looked like a movie that would make me cry, which it did, but it was utterly worth it. I have been thinking about it ever since.

It made ugly things beautiful & safe things dangerous & simple things mysterious & Hushpuppy is one of the greatest characters ever created, up there with Huck Finn & Scout Finch.



That's due in large part to half-pint Quvenzhané Wallis, who was phenomenal. The morning after I watched it, I woke up to find that she'd been nominated for an Oscar, the youngest person ever to receive a Best Actress nomination. I couldn't have been more thrilled or less surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment