September 16, 2013

In the beginning of the semester, I spend many classes dancing around like a nut, telling my students, "Being in college is about being a thinker! The topic of this paper is really YOUR thoughts & YOUR opinions!" (Most of the time I wish I could just lecture like Frances McDormand in Almost Famous, not making any sense & still moving people to tears.)

I ask lots of questions that they don't answer, like, "What do you care about? What have you been thinking about lately?"

It takes a little while for them to de-turtle. At this point (week two), the response still falls somewhere along the spectrum of staring at the floor, or putting their heads down on the desk. It's hard to get them to feel safe enough to share. It's hard to prove that I am actually interested in the answers. It also forces me to think, what do I care about? What have I been thinking about lately?

I've been thinking about getting my haircut on Wednesday.

I've been thinking about Six Feet Under, which I started watching last week.

I've been thinking that Alan Ball really knows how to write an angsty teenaged girl.

I've been thinking about traditions, & how I'd like to start some of my own.

I've been thinking about this article from The Rumpus, & women's place in the literary marketplace.

I've been thinking about DC, & those who died.

I've been thinking that little kids are the best conversationalists. 

I've been thinking that I would like a blender, for smoothies & lactose-free milkshakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment