July 21, 2012

the good

I've been thinking a lot about the shooting in Colorado over the past few days, feeling sad & reluctant to turn on the news. It was on my mind yesterday especially because I went to see The Dark Knight Rises last night with a friend, & I was scared. Every time someone got up to go to the bathroom (which was more often than usual in an almost three-hour movie), I watched them like a hawk, checking to make sure their hands were empty.


And it made me feel terrible. I hate that one person, thousands of miles away, could have that effect on me, could make me doubt the intensions of all the innocent people around me. Fear is the reason why we have gun problems in this country in the first place! 


So today, I've decided to focus on the good.


Like friends on the Fourth of July.



Or Sophie asking, "Whatcha reading?"


Or minor league baseball games (not pictured: hot dogs, popcorn, cotton candy, lemonade).


Or Saturday morning farmer's market flowers.


Or the Emily Dickinson "statue" in downtown Amherst (when you put $ in her basket, she moves like a robot & gives you a tiny scroll with a line of poetry on it).


I hope you're out there enjoying the good, friends.

(All photos are mine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment