December 31, 2012

for old times past

Christmas seems like ages ago. Why does that always happen?

There was roast beef for dinner & Home Alone on TV. When we came out of church on Christmas Eve, it was snowing big, fluffy, postage stamp-sized snowflakes. I got the best pair of earrings & some screw drivers & a GPS (hey, 2005!). 

My dad & I went to see The Hobbit, which was miles better than I expected it to be. I've been cheery ever since.

Then I went to upstate New York & it looked like Narnia & also something out of Tolkien & I secretly wanted to see The Hobbit again, but I knew my dad would roll his eyes at me if I suggested it, so I said nothing. We drove home in a snow storm.



I've been reading Shadow of Night all week, for hours a day, to the point where I've been having dreams about it. The other night I dreamt that I was being chased by a pack of Calvinists (the book is set in Elizabethan London; Calvinists were scary back then). I jumped into the getaway car & my dad said, "To prove that we have free will & there is no such thing as predestination, I bought you puppies!" And there were two teeny white puppies in a shoebox in the backseat. 

Happy New Year, friends. May the backseats of your getaway cars be filled with puppies.


Photo via We Heart It.

No comments:

Post a Comment