Actually, it feels nice. I slept a little later because everything was still dark. I let myself read extra this morning because the rain sounded so nice where I was sitting on the porch. All I have to do today is pick up ten-year-old H. from school at 3:30 & probably watch some Phineas & Ferb with him. This is the life.
Last week's New York Magazine is a really good issue--Brian Williams being funny, Elizabeth Berkley on her new teen advice book (I really have to find out if she sourced any advice from her killer movie Showgirls, which, yes, I have seen, & which also features this stellar example of self-esteem, straight from Jesse Spano's mouth: "You can fuck me when you love me." I wish I were kidding), & a funny history of the Beastie Boys, including this solid gold quote from Rev. Run:
"They'd teach me about stupid white-boy stuff, like whippits. 'What the hell is a whippit?' 'Okay, you take this Reddi-wip thing, you push, you inhale it.' Stuff black people don't do. I was like, 'I don't know the effects of this foolishness.' I don't think I did it."
Whenever I get homesick for the city, I turn to the "Neighborhood News" section. Here's a sampling from the May 2, 2011 issue:
Upper East Side: A tenant in an 86th Street building may be evicted because his attempts to cook have repeatedly flooded the building's hallways with smoke.
West Village: The owner of a townhouse on sale for $6.5 million disclosed that one of the building's tenants pays $127 a month for a 1,000-square-foot-plus apartment under rent-control guidelines.
Financial District: Construction workers digging underground discovered a well on what was once farmland belonging to Stephanus van Cortlandt, who served as the city's mayor in the late-seventeenth century.
And my old nabe, represent:
Astoria: A local man appeared on The Dr. Oz Show with his 4-year-old skateboarding bulldog, Beefy.
New York, I love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment