June 30, 2011

last day of june

Well, it may seem like I've let my favorite month slip by unaccounted for, but really it's been chockablock full of gold star things: seeing Charles D'Ambrosio read from a new novel; watching Harry Potter 6 with Henry & Harry Potter 7.1 with my dad; spending 24 crazy hours in Atlantic City with my five best friends for Kate's bachelorette party; visiting the turtles at the zoo with my two year-old cousin & her awesome Annie hair; drinking smoothies with my sister in the shade of a park; getting coffee with a girl I used to babysit, who can now drive herself to meet me...

As much as I love Massachusetts, summer feels more real in NJ. It's hotter. The radio DJs talk about heading down the shore. I don't feel weird about walking around outside in bare feet. Plus, driving these familiar roads with all the windows down, getting ice cream at the shop where I used to work many moons ago--these things can only be experienced here. So while I still can, I'm going to:

-paint my nails an obnoxious color
-read Robinson Crusoe; We, the Drowned; & any other shipwreck book I can get my paws on
-watch The Parent Trap; Now & Then; Dennis the Menace; & The Sandlot
-eat lots of pineapple
-eat lots of ice cream
-drink lots of Diet Coke with lots & lots of ice
-jog in the evenings, with my sister, to our old elementary school & then drive to Zita's, still in our sweaty clothes, to buy ice cream
-slack off from blogging & watching the news & dealing with serious things in general

I'd recommend you do the same.

Get out there & summer, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment